Monday, February 15, 2010

Scariest. Moment. Ever.

So B and I just got back from our Valentine's trip to Vegas. It was fabulous. And true to form we forgot the camera so we have no pictorial documentation. BOO! Anyhow - I'll try and blog more about the trip later. Here's what I really want to talk about - the trip home.

We were set to come back late Sunday afternoon, and that morning we met my high school bff and her family for a huge brunch at the Wynn. Needless to say there were amazing eats and, needless to say, B overdid it. He doesn't have that button in his brain that most of us have that tells us we've had enough. If you've met B you know he doesn't really need that button (though I still maintain that if you check back with us in 20 years you'll find B stuck in a doorway because his metabolism caught up with him).

Anyhow, so when it was all said and done B realized he wasn't feeling all that well. It's not entirely uncommon for him to overeat and then not feel well - especially when presented with a lot of good food. We spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon walking around the strip and he thought that was helpful to get things moving through him, which in most cases is usually all it takes. But in truth he was a bit lethargic and his stomach never did feel normal.

By the time we got on the plane he was grateful for the chance to sit and hopefully sleep. As we started to taxi and were about to take off, he pulled out his barf bag and said he really didn't feel well. I told him to breathe through his nose and out his mouth, and got my barf bag ready too. A few seconds later the retching and heaving started, and unfortunately it wasn't the quiet, delicate kind (is there such a thing when you are violently ill? probably not). After the second go round I hit the call button and B remained hunched over himself in what I assumed was an attempt to stay hidden from view and to await the next go round. When the flight attendant came over, she started asking him if he was ok, and B didn't sit up or respond. I leaned in closer to him and asked if he could sit up - asked if he was ok and to please answer. When he didn't respond to me I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him up, only to see him completely gone - unresponsive and unconscious.

So then I started to panic a little. Or a lot. I just know I started to get hysterical and immediately everyone in the 10 rows ahead of us started yelling for a doctor. And then someone called for one over the loud speaker. And the two women sitting directly in front of me reached through the seats and grabbed my hands and told me it would be ok. From somewhere a man came up to us who was an EMT, and another man who was a dentist.

And then suddenly B took in a huge gulp of air. After that things slowed down a bit. He was able to talk, in between heavings, and he was making sense. He was void of color and still retching mightily, but he was awake. I was so terrified in that brief moment - thinking he aspirated his vomit or there was something far more wrong with him then just a stomach bug. It was such a relief to have him there again. They turned the plane around and brought it back to the gate and the paramedics came on board and took us off. After a quick examination they concluded that it was most likely some type of food poisoning and that we could either spend the night at a hospital or a hotel, but chances were good all he needed was a little peace and rest and a nearby bathroom.

So, B and I stayed one more night in Vegas at a hotel and I had an anxious night of sleep while I checked every so often that he was still breathing. And after the bout at the airport he really was much better and enjoyed a good 14 hours of sleep. We made it back home today. I am grateful my sister was willing to keep the kids and that the holiday made it easier on everyone to have us gone for extra time. I am grateful for the people on the plane who were kind, understanding, helpful and reassuring. But mostly I am grateful that B and I just have a crazy story to tell and nothing more.

It was a poignant reminder on Valentine's Day of what I love and why I love it so.

7 comments:

Tennille said...

How scary! I would have reacted exactly the same way--I panic when Adam's late calling home from a trip. I can only imagine how um-calm I'd be in such an unnerving situation. So glad he's feeling better!

Christina said...

Wow---I was hoping for the whole story after the facebook update. I am so glad you had a great weekend AND that he is doing well now.

I would have been absolutely hysterical!!!

Sarah said...

Holy crap! FREEEEEEEEEEAKY!

And can I just say I giggled a little at the "dentist" part, half expecting you to say, "They revived him, but only after the root canal."

Margo said...

Holy Cow, that is insane. What a story for the books. I am so glad he is fine. Can you imagine what all those other passengers are telling their families.

Anne said...

whoa...what an event! glad all is well now.

The Ravsten's said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad that everything turned out well. What a scary situation. Wow! I'm in a little bit of shock.

Melin said...

that is scary! and the dentist must have been a reassurance...i love nice people who try to help...glad it ended well!