Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pet Peeve: Taking Offense

I have a lot of pet peeves - as I'm sure we all do. So many in fact, I may devote more than just one post to this topic. (So get excited, something to look forward to!)

Today's post however, is the pet peeve of people taking offense. I JUST DON'T GET IT. I guess I'm not someone who's offended easily, or maybe more to the point, I can recognize when offense is actually meant and when it is not. B might disagree with me here, but to him I will say sometimes I just like to pick a fight or pretend to be bothered by something just to watch him squirm. It's true.

But back to the pet peeve. This post is not the result of a specific event, its just the accumulation of times when I see someone taking offense at what is truly inoffensive. People do it when they feel someone has derided their culture, or their heritage, or their religion or their way of life. They do it when someone says something remotely constructive but that is construed as hypercritical. They jump to defense to protect their children or their choices or their actions. They even take offense by what people don't say or don't do. In short, it often seems that people are just looking for ways to be offended.

I don't get this - wouldn't you rather assume the best of people? Wouldn't you rather believe that they just weren't thinking, or that they meant nothing specific by their comment, or that they were honestly just trying to help? Wouldn't the world just be a happier place if we could practice a little benefit of the doubt?

I ask you - nine times out of ten, is anything ever gained by taking offense?

I rest my point.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Are you talking about me? You are, aren't you? I knew it. Everyone talks about me all the time, even when they don't even think they are. They ARE. I'm totally offended and not talking to you ever again.





ps - movie soon?

Christina said...

I am so with you! Jared & I talk about it all the time. I don't understand how people get offended so easily!

Hope you guys are well!

Melin said...

Assuming the best of people is remarkably liberating. There really isn't enough time in life to worry about offenses. I think about some of the great fictional stories where some old woman died with a grudge she'd been living with for 50 years and I think, what a waste of time!

Can I come to the movie Sarah's talking about?

Margo said...

I totally agree with your thoughts and those who have commented. Life is way too short to be offended. I think it is a bad cycle and if you live your life getting offended then your children will do the same thing. Thanks for sharing...