Friday, January 01, 2010

My New Hero


I had wanted to see The Blind Side ever since it came out, and last night we finally got the chance. It hasn't been far from my mind since. I immediately fell in love with Sandra Bullock's character, Leigh Anne Touhy. From about the first 10 minutes of watching her on the screen, all I could think was "I want to be just like this woman!" I loved absolutely everything about her - her unapologetic femininity, her obvious taste for the finer things without letting it define her, her concrete understanding of what she defined as right and wrong, her intense love for her children but her shameless high expectations for them, her ability to stand up for herself and put others in their much needed place without being rude, and most of all... her ability to not spend too much time thinking about it, but to just DO IT.

So if I have a New Years resolution, it is to be more like this woman. Maybe I'll get the movie and watch it from time to time to for an additional dose of motivation and inspiration. I'd like to find a way to BE more Christian, not just talk about being Christian. I'd like to be even more involved in my kids' lives so that I can always be a gentle reminder of our values and expectations. I'd like to find ways to be of greater service and to better help those around me - including those I know very little about. Most of all, I'd like to think a little less and do a little more. And I want to do all of that with no fear, and no apologies. I know what is right for me and my family, and its about time I stop looking for acceptance and justification, and just DO IT already.

5 comments:

Anne said...

i love her, too. and i think you have set a wonderful goal for yourself.

"you threaten my family...you threaten me!"

Margo said...

So my whole family saw this movie and it was a huge hit with everyone. I did not think I could laugh so hard and cry and the same time. What an inspiraional story. I heard the book about the story is even better. The movie was one of the best I have seen in a long time. I agree with you, this lady is pretty cool.

Unknown said...

Loved it, loved it! I can't wait to confront a gang-banging, drug lord and threaten him with my prayer group!

Anonymous said...

I totally want to see it! Heather

Jim said...

I loved this film. The thing that struck me the hardest was how life can change in an instant. One minute Leigh Anne sees this giant of a boy walking in the rain and from that moment on, life was different for everyone. Made me think to keep my eyes open, not just for the "Big Mikes" of the world, but for those amazing moments with my kids. There may be small teaching moments at any time on any day that can help define and direct them...and me.